How many miles do you have on your engine?

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
b6fischer

Re: How many miles do you have on your engine?

Post by b6fischer »

Doug - don't you have a 2005? If so it should not be an issue as the heads were redesigned in 2002/2003 with deep spark plug threading. You must torque them to factor spec and use anti-seize then you are good to go. This goes for the pre-2003 engines as well.

I understand the torque to be the following (although there is much variation out there...):
2003 and newer - 23ft-lbs
earlier - 11 ft-lbs
1997 Chinook Concourse, over 200,000 Miles
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I thought that the van never got the newer version (version 3?) [edited to add, now I remember, it's 2-valve vs. 3-valve, and the spark plug problem changed], regardless of year. Or at least not in the year range of Chinooks (up to 2006). Seems like often the trucks get something but not the vans.

That next version had a different problem though (spark plugs breaking off), so it's changing one potential issue for another one.

I would say that if you are worried about it, then get the Time Serts put in prophylactically. Because RV's are supposed to be fun, not worrying.

I've had the spark plugs done (normally) on two Ford vans now (previous camper van and current Chinook), and both times went okay. The van was right at 100,000 miles; the Chinook at 49,000 miles. On the van I had it at a small, one-guy shop, and I helped out. We first cleaned the "wells" very carefully, then we sprayed the plugs with Kroil the night before, and then the mechanic used a light touch when removing them and carefully re-torqued the new ones to spec. All went well. I had the Chinook done at time of purchase at a Ford dealer, so was not privy to the operation's details.

If I do have an issue, I'll have the inserts done. I might have them done ahead of time if it was a worry for me or if I were driving to Timbuktu.
Last edited by Blue~Go on March 29th, 2018, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999 Concourse
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

This is more Ford than Chinook but I just wanted to take up a bunch of space and mention a couple things. I am familiar with the "stuck inside" scenario. There's an extension on the plugs called a ground electrode shell. It gets carbon on it (normal) which causes it to get stuck in the head (not normal) when removing the plugs. There are kits available to get the piece out of the cylinder if it breaks off and falls in, but it can be tough to do. This picture is of the plugs I pulled from a V8 truck a few days ago (I don't know the model year). This happens to many iterations of the modular platform, from vans to trucks to mustangs.

I personally haven't seen one where a plug was spat out, but a Heli-Coil would be my first choice for repairing a stripped thread, mostly because I'm familiar with installing them and I've never once had one go bad. But maybe the one you (Blue) referred to is the standard for these motors?

Apart from an odd design, another booger in Ford's defense case is that the suggested change interval for plugs is 100k miles, which is beyond the factory warranty. So they essentially considered the plugs a lifetime component, which is insane. Pretty sleazy. Some iridium plugs can last for ages, but that doesn't mean they should. Just breaking loose an older set of plugs can help by sort of "resetting the clock" on the potential for the two materials to marry, but really it's carbon that locks them in. Doing yours at 49k was certainly a wise decision. Risky, but wise.
Attachments
oops.jpg
crap.jpg
1994 Premier
Colorider

Post by Colorider »

So is this spark plug issue the same for the 460 V8 in my 93 chassis? Now you've got me nervous.
"Harvey the RV" - 1994 Chinook Premier, Dinette, 7.5L V8
b6fischer

Post by b6fischer »

No - only applies to the V10. The plugs just need to be properly torqued to eliminate the problem.
1997 Chinook Concourse, over 200,000 Miles
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I think it also applies to the 5.4 V8, which I believe some Premiers got. That's what was in my camper van. It's another variation on the "modular" engine (V-10). But your 460 is a whole 'nother family. It may be possible for it to have a problem, but it's not "the" problem.

The inserts I mentioned are essentially a helicoil from what I understand. It's just that they've been "perfected" for this specific situation. But they are likely not the only choice.

http://www.timesert.com/html/ford_sparkplug_faq.html
1999 Concourse
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

One or the other symptom can apply to basically all of the Ford modular engines, V10 or V8 or whatever. As a percentage, it's not too terribly common. We just hear about the failures and not the successes.
If the plugs are torqued and they're OEM parts, that's a good start. But they still can loosen and dislodge themselves. Good idea to check them periodically, whichever motor.

The scenario I encountered above is totally different and irrespective of torque. It's from carbon buildup.

But yes, the 460 doesn't have this problem. Regular old $2 plugs are just fine for, I dunno, 30k miles at least. Iron heads, pushrods, totally different animal. But it's not all rainbows and puppies for us either. 460s have exhaust manifold issues. Check the passenger side, all the way to the rear. Is the screw missing its head?
1994 Premier
Willywalderbeast

Post by Willywalderbeast »

Got 123K on mine now. Thats almost 30k miles since i got it a year and a half ago. Ive had no issues (knock on wood) at all since I've owned it! I think it really comes down to how the vehicle was maintained. The PO of mine kept it maintained properly and i do as well. Although a buddy of mine got his hands on a ridiculously low mile v10 recently and said i can have it for free as a spare motor! Hopefully the motor in my chinook will go 300K plus before needing to swap in the spare haha
SMan

Post by SMan »

The only issue I have had with my V10 was documented in a thread I posted awhile back about the check engine light. It turned out to be one plug (#5) that went bad. I had never had a single plug go bad and when I questioned Ford about it they said is doesn't happen all the time but was common. It has been fine since. I think I now have about 26K on the odometer.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hello,
I'm new to this forum but have had Chinooks for the past 15 yrs. Had a 2000 Concourse for 10 yrs (35k on V10) and a 2005 Glacier 2500LE for the last 5 yrs (42k on V10).
I was on the Yahoo chat grout years ago until it was taken over by spam.

Thanks

Keith