Scan Gauge II, for monitoring engine/trans temps and more

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
Blue~Go

Re: Scan Gauge II, for monitoring engine/trans temps and more

Post by Blue~Go »

Ha! If only that would affect the "average MPG" readout.

But yeah, having numbers for water temp and alternator output (I once had one go out on another vehicle and didn't really pick up on it until my lights went dim.... ugh) sure beats vaguely scaled needles that are probably damped anyway (i.e. fairly meaningless). And things like trans temp that you don't even have otherwise.

Nice to know whether you do (or don't!) have to worry.
1999 Concourse
rgmullins

Post by rgmullins »

Is anybody here using a bluetooth ODBII adapter with the android Torque app? It is pretty sweet but on my 1998 it doesn't show transmission temps in the stock version. Apparently I need to add some "PIDs"? I could probably spend a few hours and figure it out but I would prefer to benefit from someone else's knowledge (as I have already done in so many areas thanks to this website!)
Rick
Cincinnati, Oh
98 Concourse
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

rgmullins wrote: July 4th, 2018, 2:46 pm Is anybody here using a bluetooth ODBII adapter with the android Torque app? It is pretty sweet but on my 1998 it doesn't show transmission temps in the stock version. Apparently I need to add some "PIDs"? I could probably spend a few hours and figure it out but I would prefer to benefit from someone else's knowledge (as I have already done in so many areas thanks to this website!)

Here is an answer to your question posted on a different blog, assuming you are using the paid version of Torque:

it is in the extra pid set for Ford in Torque. No need to program it in.
go to settings, then manage extra pids/sensors.
then, click menu and select Add predefined set.
Here you will find a Ford/powerstroke set of pid's. Add it.

Here is a link to the blog where the question was posted:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1168 ... st12720655

Hope this helps,
Clay
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
rgmullins

Post by rgmullins »

Sweet, thanks!!
Rick
Cincinnati, Oh
98 Concourse
Hittheroad

Post by Hittheroad »

Got the Scangauge 2 yesterday and installed it and punched in the codes for transmission temperature and works like it should, hardest part is not making a mistake while entering the codes and finding a good location to put it. This is on a 96 460
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Hey cool! You have the rare beast: A 460 that can run a Scan Gauge. I think that would only be 1996 model year. I didn't know whether that would have a code you could enter for TFT - glad to hear it does.

BTW, I found that their supplied Velcro just kept falling off in the heat (even in normal temp places). The glue would just fail. I replaced it with the "half strength" Dual Lock (I think they call it low profile) and four years later.... still there just where I put it.
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Just thought I would come back with a couple of notes. I recently set up a Scan Gauge II for some friends who have an "other brand" Ford cutaway RV with V10. After receiving it, I took it out of the packaging, plugged it in, and programmed it so they wouldn't have to. First I did the part where you select the engine size, gas tank size, display color, etc. Then I went to put in the X-code for the transmission fluid temperature (a must in my opinion). Good to go.

But.... I noticed a couple of other things that might be fun. First, there was an X-code for "percent of gas tank full." Sure the gas gauge works, but this is in percent and might be fun. I programmed that in.

Next I noticed something I don't need on my Chinook (I run stock tire size) but that I could use on my car (where I run slightly larger diameter than stock tires so that I could get the tire I wanted, so hence the speedo is off). Maybe others with Chinooks running non-stock tire sizes would be interested too. The feature is that you can program a percent "offset" into the MPH display on the Scan Gauge. I actually look that that field a lot on my car because it has a hard-to-read speedometer (as opposed to the super easy to see speedo in the Chinook, thank you Ford). So aha, I could program that on my car's Scangauge to read the correct MPH, as the tires are making it like 3% off. Cool!
1999 Concourse
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

Blue~Go wrote: December 10th, 2018, 9:37 pm Next I noticed something I don't need on my Chinook (I run stock tire size) but that I could use on my car (where I run slightly larger diameter than stock tires so that I could get the tire I wanted, so hence the speedo is off). Maybe others with Chinooks running non-stock tire sizes would be interested too. The feature is that you can program a percent "offset" into the MPH display on the Scan Gauge. I actually look that that field a lot on my car because it has a hard-to-read speedometer (as opposed to the super easy to see speedo in the Chinook, thank you Ford). So aha, I could program that on my car's Scangauge to read the correct MPH, as the tires are making it like 3% off. Cool!
I did this yesterday and my van console gauge was 8% off (lower) than GPS with 235/85/16 Duratracs.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Hey cool, so it works! I think my car is only about 3% off, but why not account for it? Especially since, like you, I'm actually going faster than the speedo says. That could result in an unpleasant surprise :flashing lights:
1999 Concourse
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

I am picking up on a thread back several months ago on "Outside Storage" that Blue Go and I hijacked to talking about transmission temp...we got there by way of my talking about how I had attached some PVC pipes to the bike rack on the front of my Rig in an effort to get air to flow around the Skins Bike Covers that were blocking air flow to the radiator and transmission cooler. We agreed at that time that such a discussion belonged here under Engine and Drivetrain...so, here we go!
I had a chance to try out my crazy idea this week with a trip from Boston to the Battenkill River near Manchester VT for some camping, biking, fly fishing (wife, not me), and hiking. The weather was not ideal, but we had fun anyway. And, it gave me a chance to see what temps I was running with the covered bikes mounted up front. With an outside temp in the low 60's, the water temp fluctuated between 191-202 most of the time, with a few spikes up to 206 before the fan brought it back down. From what I have read, that seems to be within a reasonable range...DO PEOPLE AGREE? Regarding the transmission fluid temp, the scan gauge was reading between 168-182, depending on speed and terrain. So, not below the magical 170 people talk about, but not particularly worrisome either...RIGHT???
I did plug the pipes on the way out in effort to compare...temps were 5 degrees or so less with pipes open--not a huge difference, but helpful.
All this leads me to think that I could probably use a more heavy-duty transmission cooler (the one I have now is fin and tube, sitting to the side of the radiator)...especially since it was only 60ish degrees out--and I imagine that things will only get hotter as the temp climbs during our summer travels.
Blue, I know you installed a heavy-duty cooler on your Rig (a bit older than my 2004 6.8 liter v10)...do you know if what you installed would be compatible with my Rig...and how about others??? Suggestions/advice PLEASE! Seems to me that options might be limited due to what appears to me to be a lack of space under the hood. Ideally, I'd like a transmission cooler with a fan (to help bring air around the bike covers), and one that doesn't choke off cooling to the radiator (I've read that can be an issue).
I'd love to know people's thoughts on any/all of the above.
Thanks
David