Scan Gauge II, for monitoring engine/trans temps and more

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Scan Gauge II, for monitoring engine/trans temps and more

Post by chin_k »

Definitely not happy about the 212+ temperature, since it is above boiling point, and if there is issue with keeping the pressure on your coolant system, it will be like opening up a pressure cooker with super-heated water turning into stream. I am not familiar with how Ford does it, maybe different engine use different profile for opening up the coolant to the radiator, and turning on the fan, but from a layman point of view, it is not good to try to be so efficient that they want to keep the coolant temperature so high. I wonder if the Ford have a specification that you can look up. I would definitely look up Blue's suspicion, and make everyone more comfortable with what you are reporting there.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Thanks guys for the feedback. From what I’ve read other places, the 59/50 mix I have in radiator is fine up to (even beyond) 220. That also seems to jive with the dashboard water temp gauge that continues to stay in the middle even at 220.
I’ll have a chat with my Ford lead mechanic this week and see what he has to say about these readings. I’ll have him check fan and describe the parameters he thinks are appropriate.
...good discussion, as always. Stay tuned.
David
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

As I wait to hear back from my mechanic, I’ve been sitting here wondering about the discrepancy in engine temp between my 2004 v10 and Blue’s 1999...could it be that we have different thermostats? Blue, your numbers seem to correspond with a 185, while mine are more akin to a 195 from what Have been reading. Makes me wonder if my newer engine is designed to run hotter? Blue—do you know what thermostat you have installed?
David
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Hey Chinookers...I stopped in today to have a chat with my Ford mechanic about the temp readings I have been seeing on the Scan Guage II. First of all, he confirmed that I am running a 195 thermostat in my 2004 6.8 v10. And he was not concerned with the numbers I have been seeing (see earlier post). He said that the slightly restricted air flow from the covered bikes may be causing the temps to be slightly higher than otherwise, but nothing to worry about. As long as I am not seeing water temp going above 220, or trans temp higher than 205 in hot weather on a hill with AC running, I should be fine. Before going in to see him, I also checked my antifreeze level in the reservoir, and it was fine--so not losing any coolant.
He also said that the 1999 v10's were not designed to run as hot, and that they usually carried a 185 degree thermostat...so, that, I think, accounts for the different readings that Blue-Go and I have been discussing.
I left feeling good. And glad I have the scan gauge II to help me monitor things...that, and you all.
David
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Glad that you informed us of this. Good to know the difference between the various v10. My chassis is a 1999 E350 V10, so I should have the 185 thermostat.... should I contact the dealer with my VIN to confirm since it is close to the switch over period?
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Chin_k—I’d encourage you to check with your mechanic to see what t-stat you have...one more piece of information for all of us to have and digest. Keep us posted on what you find and what he says.
David
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Yes, Mr. Eppstein. I will do my home work. :)
FatBuoy
**Forum Contributor**

Post by FatBuoy »

Anyone with one of these happen to know at about what RPMs you are running when in third gear at 70mph?
2001 Premier aka "Anookie"
Dallas, TX area
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

I don’t know about “3rd” gear, but I do look at my rpm gauge pretty often and notice that when cruising on the highway at around 72 mph, the engine is running at about 2500 rpm.
FatBuoy
**Forum Contributor**

Post by FatBuoy »

deppstein wrote: August 1st, 2020, 7:56 am I don’t know about “3rd” gear, but I do look at my rpm gauge pretty often and notice that when cruising on the highway at around 72 mph, the engine is running at about 2500 rpm.
I believe “not overdrive” is the third gear. Or, that’s what I was trying to convey. Overdrive the fourth maybe? I was asking because I was just curious what I was running at when towing. It was kicking down and holding third for periods of time. Especially happened when on cruise control. I would either hit decel on the cc to take it back to OD, or just turn the whole thing off and use the pedal. If 72 was 2500 rpms, then maybe I was running close to 3000? That’s not as bad as I thought. That thing sounds like it’s screaming!
2001 Premier aka "Anookie"
Dallas, TX area