steering column vibration

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

steering column vibration

Post by chin_k »

When I was driving 10 MPH over washboard dirt road the other day, the steering wheel shook terribly. It feels like I was grabbing onto a 70 lb jack hammer. Is this normal, or I need to check the shock/spring or other components? It was the first time drove a RV over dirt road this bad. A Jeep blew past me at maybe 15 or 20 mph.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Blue~Go

Re: steering column vibration

Post by Blue~Go »

Washboard is evil! That said, wasn't the rest of the Chinook shaking like crazy as well?

Going faster can make washboard less horrible (albeit much dustier), but I don't typically do that in my Chinook. I will "fly along" (within reason) in my car and it does help. Very dusty though (car is a lot less work to wash and doesn't have a rear door).

Airing your tires down can also help, I believe. I haven't tried that yet. I just minimize the washboard driving and creep along when I do choose to do it. Still sucks. But the whole rig shakes, not just one part. Did I mention it's evil?
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I did not try to go fast, since the vibration is getting worse as I accelerate to around 15, so I let the gas pedal up. I was afraid the whole coach going to come off the chassis if I go any faster :shock: I have my compressor with me, so I guess I can let out the air, but it is a hassle to spend 20 minutes to air out and air in if I just need to crawl along for 30 minutes. It turns out to be more than an hour, and it got really frustrating, and I want to make sure it is "normal" or there is something mechanical that I need to look into.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Well, the reason lots of people dislike washboard, is it basically shakes your fillings out, especially if you are trying to go at a moderate speed in a motorhome with normal tire pressure.

The only thing that sounds "off" is if ONLY the steering column was doing weird things. If it was that plus everything else in the Chinook then I'd say it's just "Welcome to Washboard."

I have passed up some fine camping spots that were at the end of a five-mile-long washboard road just because I didn't want to deal with it (I have taken the time to creep into some other ones, but there's a limit to what I can stand.)

In contrast, I can fly (for definitions of fly that include 30 mph or so, and assuming the road is dry so I'm not damaging it and there is no-one nearby that I'm going to dust) down those roads in my car, and the only punishment is having to wash it later (because it will be COVERED in dust EVERYWHERE).
1999 Concourse
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

If it's as bad as you say, I would posit that it certainly is not normal. I don't know what you know and would need more information. I'm off-road and on washboard with fair regularity, and haven't experienced the jack hammer you mentioned. How does it behave on smooth surfaces? Any other noteworthy symptoms? Does it wander radically or unpredictably at speed? Have you done any inspection for something visually obvious?

One of the easiest things to inspect visually is the steering damper. If it's leaking, replace it. It's not difficult or expensive, and if it's original, it's probably not doing much. New shocks are always a good idea unless they've already been done recently. While you're inspecting, have a look at the soft parts like radius arm bushings and sway bar bushings as well as the bushings in the shocks. Multiple small imperfections can stack up and do weird things, especially with our "unique" suspension, which sadly isn't the greatest design. Do a search on the steering box adjustment. Wheel bearings with old grease are commonly neglected due to low mileage; age matters. True wheels, good tires, and inflation levels are ... well, pretty important. Most of these things tend to cause problems in scenarios different from what you've described, but are good to keep in mind. Same with the condition of all the various joints. A torn ball joint boot can cause play quickly with dusty off-road use.

Washboard is no doubt unpleasant in my rig, but not entirely hellish, plus some of the best spots are down poor roads ;) . But when off-road, it's always good to know your limits before you exceed them; she certainly isn't a jeep!
1994 Premier
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I don't have any filling, but I feel my pituitary gland got broken off and swallowed when I was driving to the camp. I don't see other people do any better, but they do tends to be able to drive faster. The Jeep do seem to be perfect for these kind of road, however.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Scott wrote: January 18th, 2019, 5:58 pm If it's as bad as you say, I would posit that it certainly is not normal. I don't know what you know and would need more information. I'm off-road and on washboard with fair regularity, and haven't experienced the jack hammer you mentioned. How does it behave on smooth surfaces? Any other noteworthy symptoms? Does it wander radically or unpredictably at speed? Have you done any inspection for something visually obvious?
I guess I might have some hyperbole there, but it was bad. I did visually inspected it, and everything seems to be fine. When on regular road, it is fine. I did not check the shock or the damper, and I don't think there is any anti-sway mechanism. I probably will bring it to a mechanics and let him/her check it since I am not that familiar with rig this size.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I didn't mean to gloss over if there is a problem. I just wondered if it was ONLY the steering, or if the whole rig shook. Because it can be REALLY bad on washboard roads, but it's an "all over" bad. If it is just the steering then yeah, why not check things out.

(And if it's only the steering, I want to know how you get the rest of the Chinook to not shake! :lol: )
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

The entire rig shook, but what concerned me is that the steering wheel seems to be moving like a piston as if I can feel every ridge of the washboard.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Okay, so maybe that doesn't sound totally normal. I wouldn't say I *particularly* notice the steering wheel on washboard. On the contrary I'm thinking about the rest of the coach that is shaking itself to death.

So I see two possibilities:

1) The horrible experience of your first washboard road distorted your perceptions (I say that mostly tongue-in-cheek but not totally).

2) Something is wrong in your steering/front suspension/tires/wheels.

#2 could be serious, so I would check or have things checked out there. Not where you want a problem! Maybe the washboard road gave you advance notice of something that needs taking care of.
1999 Concourse