61.5 hour round trip to Phoenix from East Texas

Travels and adventures.
roscott

61.5 hour round trip to Phoenix from East Texas

Post by roscott »

Did a quick trip to pick up a vehicle and tow it back on a dolly. Wasn't sure how the Concourse would tow, but was pleasantly surprised...averaged around 10mpg on the way out and about 8.6 to 9mpg on the way back with the dolly/car in tow. I have the extended tow hitch needed for this unit in order to be used with the rear steps. As a matter of fact, I use this specific hitch on my truck, often, to pull a 16' trailer. To make a long story short, it looks like a got really lucky during this trip...after arriving home, I went to remove the hitch and found the ball had become extremely loose (link below)...I could undo the bolt from the shank using my hand. I have no idea how much longer I could have towed before it gave way. Who checks to see if the ball on your hitch is loose...while towing? Well, now I will. In fact, I'm adding a second nut to the shank to help prevent this in the future, since it appears the lock washer didn't quite do its job.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2riy3lwxs90lc ... h.mp4?dl=0
Attachments
tow.jpg
2004 Chinook Concourse
E350
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: 61.5 hour round trip to Phoenix from East Texas

Post by chin_k »

I would use Loc-Tite to make sure it won't come loose, in addition to a second nut... For critical application, they use a castle nut or one with a hole that you can put a lock wire thru so that it won't rotate. Take a look at how the nut is used on the wheel hub, and you will know what I mean. A second nut will come off together with the first nut in high vibration, so it is not that good once it started. I think this is why they always tell you to put on the chain correctly (not to long, not to short, and crossed over) just in case something like this happens.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
72 NOOK

Post by 72 NOOK »

Hello, sounds like a good trip with a guardian Angel. Here is a picture of a U-HAUL brand ball, It may come loose but won't come off.
Attachments
KIMG1167.jpg
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

The cotter pin and a castle nut is what keep the wheel on many wheel hubs.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
72 NOOK

Post by 72 NOOK »

Hello, a castellated nut would work if the cotter key hole is lined up in a cut out on the nut when the ball is fully tightened. Wheel bearings are never fully tightened which gives you wiggle room. My 2 cents
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

I can't help but be curious...why did it take 61 hours of driving time or was that total time from when you left your house? I live in east Texas also. Glad you made it home safe!!
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark