Seattle, WA to Palmer Lake, CO (Denver/CO Springs) in June/July 2019

Travels and adventures.
Astrodokk

Seattle, WA to Palmer Lake, CO (Denver/CO Springs) in June/July 2019

Post by Astrodokk »

I'll be driving the Chinook over several days to Palmer Lake, CO, which is situated between Colorado Springs and Denver.

I have to be there for a July 5th wedding, so I think I'll take off maybe June 29 or 30.

I'll be taking I-90 E to I-84 E then I-25 S through Denver and down to Palmer Lake. I can stay at the Air Force Academy or Ft. Carson Army base in Colorado Springs. They have RV parking and amenities for veterans.

I'll be leaving quite a few days early so that I can make some stops at historic places and such.

I'm looking forward to driving the rig with it's new MORryde system and Monroe RV shocks all around. I have brand new 4 tires in rear and the fronts are still good at 4 years of age. I love road trips. Hopefully lots of rest areas and interesting places to see. I'll be taking my time going back home too.

Any recommendations on that route? I'll be driving through parts of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, and Colorado.
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
Astrodokk

Re: Seattle, WA to Palmer Lake, CO (Denver/CO Springs) in June/July 2019

Post by Astrodokk »

So I'll be leaving on this trip late next week sometime. One of my stops will be W. Yellowstone and stay overnight and drive through YNP the next day.
Looking forward to feeling out the MorRyde system and my new 2019 E-450 front end with Roadmaster anti sway bar.
I'll be stopping at the Old Faithful Inn, which is a historical building and not to be missed. Everything else I'll be playing by ear.
I'm hoping that it wont be too hot, and that there won't be much traffic. I'm planning to be at Palmer Lake on July 4th for a July 5th wedding, so I'll be out of the park by the time holiday travelers go there.
If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. I'll try to post updates while on the road if I can.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

It shouldn't be hot there yet, since it is pretty high in altitude. You may need to adjust your gen set if it does not sounds like running normal. There is a attitude adjustment.

Plan to have extra time driving around. If you are in a traffic jam, it usually means that you are in luck. It is almost always due to animal sighting ahead. Relax, and enjoy the sighting and the view. Have a nice zoom or telephoto lenses will be nice. Try to take advantage of some of the less popular geysers. We did not enjoy the Mammoth Spring as much due to the lack of water/color, but it maybe different this time.

The road is pretty "civilized," so I don't think you will notice much in your anti sway bar and suspension. Drive carefully, and watch for wild life. It is sad if anyone hurt/kill a wildlife if it can be avoided. Some of the accidents were really bad for your rig.

We were there during the fire event last time, and it was smokey almost all the time, but one of the night, the wind was such that it clear up the sky, and we can see the Andromeda. It is pretty difficult to see due to the light pollution, so we were impressed.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Thanks Chin. Making my list and checking it twice.
I wish I had gotten my cruise control fixed.
Also, didn’t get the chance to reroute the AC vacuum since it does shut off when climbing.
But, since it won’t be hot as you say, I don’t think it will matter.
Looking forward to getting on the road on Wednesday.
I’m gonna drive slow and enjoy the view!
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Astrodokk, one great thing about the trip this last time was that we don't have to drive around just to get food if we were in a passenger car. We have the rig, and we just pull over to the nearest parking lot, and get our food. It was a lot more relaxing. We stayed at Fishing Bridge, and you maybe able to get a spot if you do a walk-in.

We were in a hurry last time we were there, trying to make it to the solar eclipse with the rest of the astronomy club down at Idaho. If it was not for the eclipse, we would stay there for a week easily.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis