**Forum Contributor**

Re: Wheelin'

Post by Scott »

Hey Paul. I sent you a PM ;)
1994 Premier
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

Any chance you could have built up wheel tracks across with the assorted rocks/boulders/logs scattered around the impasse?
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Rokrover wrote: August 6th, 2018, 4:21 am Any chance you could have built up wheel tracks across with the assorted rocks/boulders/logs scattered around the impasse?
Hey Ted, I started doing exactly that, but soon quit. It would have required filling in a huge dip, plus it was very narrow and not entirely stable. I wish the photo offered better perspective. I headed out on foot and found another major challenge half a mile down the way. I just backed up and parked elsewhere.
1994 Premier
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I like the "Where's Waldo" shot!

I've found similar to you: It's not 4WD that I need first, but rather, in order:

1) Narrower width (might not matter except that I mind scratching the sides)

2) Less overhang (hitch, I'm looking at YOU).

3) Single rear wheels

4) Lower roof height

5) More traction (hasn't ever been an issue only because I've run into needing 1, 2, 3, or 4 first). That might change on soft sand or snow/ice.

PS: I want to know where you were too (but no need to mention on the WWW) - mostly because it DOES NOT LOOK SMOKY!!!
1999 Concourse
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Good list!

For me, it's the overhang just about every time. But then the luxury I get is worth the limitation.

I would love to hear about the off-road experiences others have had in their Chinooks. Please feel free to post in this thread whatever you want related to off roading. Equipment, application, experiences, opinions, lessons learned, etc. :D
1994 Premier
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

The most essential ingredient is experience gained from off roading to apply appropriate judgement under the constraints of the Chinooks inherent technical capability. Any modification like significant suspension lift combined with a proper 4WD system having solid axles and hi-lo transfer case compromises the fundamental ride concept of the Chinook - comfort cruising the highways.

That’s why we tow a Honda P500 4x4 to unleash when conditions get rougher. Then we have the best of both worlds, with of a comfortable base camp and a more capable exploration pod for gnarly trails into the mountains. The investment for a trailer and P500 is less than half a decent 4x4 conversion. Even then the rotund Chinook shell restricts width and height clearance, not to mention confident backup capability. In my opinion the sensible size limit for a 4x4 camper is a complete E-350 van, just like original Sportsmobiles. Interior head height is a minor discomfort compared to the jarring ride over solid axles, unless you want to throw more money into an active air-ride system.

Let the flames begin ;)

Note added in edit: 4x4 Trails usually have a numerical difficulty rating from say 1 to 10, ranging from easy beginner through intermediate then to extreme expert only. A #10 Jeep trail inflicts guaranteed vehicle damage like torn tires, sheared suspension arms, busted axles along with high rollover probability. A winch is also a must for recovery. My point is a Chinook should never be expected to venture in this realm.
Ted C. / SW Arizona
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Thanks for your thoughts, Ted. No flames. I'm asking for opinions, so your post is appreciated, especially since you're the previous owner of a 4x4 van. 8-)

As I alluded to in an earlier post, most obstacles that cause me to turn around in the Chinook would never phase my pickup in the least since it has little overhang, more clearance, more visibility, narrower, lower, much lighter, etc. Off-roading both vehicles on identical trails has illustrated my stock Chinook's limits dimensionally and mechanically, plus my personal tolerance for damage, and of course my mediocre driving ability. The trails have to be pretty tame; thanks USFS. :D

Having a second vehicle for rougher trails (like your Honda, or a Jeep, let's say) would be a blast, but I like to get the Chinook into remote places, and towing would limit that. I use a mountain bike for exploring, but I understand that's not for everyone.

If I were to do actual four wheeling and camping, I'd put a rooftop tent over the bed of my truck. Then again, it's hard to beat all the amenities of the Chinook. Everything is a compromise.
1994 Premier
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

I didn’t mean to rant in your interesting Wheelin’ thread Scott. Perhaps I over reacted after a different thread on a 4x4 conversion. Blue~Go correctly put this mod on low priority, unless you happen to like overnight ice-lake fishing ;)

Meanwhile, to lighten the mood and maybe generate ideas, here’s a picture of a most serious and capable 6x6 camper that came to our resort once. Only downside is the fuel mileage and physical effort to access the spare tire!

Cheers, Ted
Attachments
D5R00824.jpg
Ted C. / SW Arizona
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Rokrover wrote: August 10th, 2018, 11:45 am I didn’t mean to rant in your interesting Wheelin’ thread Scott. Perhaps I over reacted after a different thread on a 4x4 conversion. Blue~Go correctly put this mod on low priority, unless you happen to like overnight ice-lake fishing ;)
Rant? Not at all. As I said, I appreciate your input, and I would love a free-flow of opinions from anyone with experience. When I first bought my Chinook almost three years ago, I had all kinds of plans and bedtime machinations. Some of them were good predictions, others were a waste of time. Learning from the experience of others is cheap education.

And about the ice fishing, that's something I've done from time to time in Montana, but on the ice in the Chinook my biggest fear would be weight. I'll stick to the four wheeler, a tent, and a Wave 6.
Rokrover wrote: August 10th, 2018, 11:45 amMeanwhile, to lighten the mood and maybe generate ideas, here’s a picture of a most serious and capable 6x6 camper that came to our resort once. Only downside is the fuel mileage and physical effort to access the spare tire!
I'll give them credit for creativity, and they sure have me beat on towing capacity. And with that double joint, they must be pretty impressive in reverse. What a train!
1994 Premier
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

Great eye for detail there, Scott. Backing up that doubly-articulated road train would indeed be a challenge on a narrow trail.

I now digress a little to introduce my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk as fine example of capable off roader. It has fully independent air suspension with ride height adjustment, hi-lo range and torque bias management through an active transfer case, limited-slip rear differential and selective braking. It’s far more comfortable than my old Jeep Rubicon. There’s even enough room to sleep in the back with seats folded but that’s a little too spartan after being spoiled by a Chinook.

Any downside? Well, the GC Trailhawk’s systems are under computer management so it’s a smart drive-by-wire vehicle that takes most decision making away from the driver and is very expensive to diagnose and fix. I’ve had two recalls already for the software level of the ECM/PCM to be re-flashed with an upgrade. There’s even talk of automatic updates via satellite while you drive!

Me, I’m thankful for an old-school Chinook where you can do basic mods like springs, shocks and wheels yourself without an advanced computer engineering degree and not risk being hacked out on the road by some malicious computer whiz.
Attachments
Testing a new Grand Cherokee Trailhawk in the Arizona mountains
Testing a new Grand Cherokee Trailhawk in the Arizona mountains
Ted C. / SW Arizona