Soldier Creek / Mt. Graham

Travels and adventures.
Rokrover

Soldier Creek / Mt. Graham

Post by Rokrover »

Mt. Graham rises to 10,000’ and offers respite at cooler altitudes during the summer months in Arizona. The summit plateau has several developed campgrounds and repels the casual crowd thanks to the (in)famous Swift Trail scenic drive weaving a convoluted path across ridges and canyons. Some switchbacks are quite alarming with no room to back up and the final 10 miles are unpaved with an entertaining washboard surface guaranteed to shake a few screws loose and coat the rig in fine dust.

We chose the secluded Soldier Creek campground with sites nestled between jumbled granite boulders under stately pines. There are no hook ups but of course the Chinook squeezed in quite well and remained self sufficient on gas and 12V coach supply. It became cool enough pre dawn to run the furnace while brewing a strong Irish Breakfast tea prior to tending our Schnauzer’s needs wandering the dark woods outside. Invariable he takes some time to find the elusive yet perfect spot. I kept a wary eye out for black bears known to inhabit the area.

A major wildfire in 2017 razed large tracts across the mountain so we could hike at will across a stark landscape of blackened pines to several imposing outcrops. Later we learned about a secret ice cave that is deep enough to retain ice even in July and August. The rock is granite and deep caverns may be found between huge split blocks. We plan to explore more next visit to locate this interesting natural feature now we know it’s general whereabouts.

The trip also confirmed a cheap and simple fix for the notorious Fan-Tastic vent lid wind noise. I cut a panel from 1” styrofoam to fit tightly from the inside to not only insulate the opening but also damp high-frequency pressure waves driven by turbulence over the roof line. That’s my theory anyway to justify the good result.
Attachments
Our intrepid Schnauzer scales the rocks
Our intrepid Schnauzer scales the rocks
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
Rokrover

Re: Soldier Creek / Mt. Graham

Post by Rokrover »

For some obscure reason I can only upload 1 image in each post with the new software so add the following to show the charm of our campsite. Enough sunlight filtered through the stately pines to energize our solar panels during the day.
Attachments
A beautiful campsite but no fires were allowed due to extremely dry and windy conditions
A beautiful campsite but no fires were allowed due to extremely dry and windy conditions
Ted C. / SW Arizona
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

That campsite looks perfect.

How did you fit that Styrofoam to the Fantastic Fan? Mine has all these controls that protrude down from the screen.

Paul
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

Re: Vent Thermal and Sound Insulation

Glad you asked, Paul.

The attached pictures (downsized so hopefully both post) show the setup. First, the styrofoam slab was cut carefully for an interference fit so it wedges itself in place. Next it was wrapped in white duct tape for reinforcement and to prevent shedding of styrofoam crumbs. Finally, the top side under the fan has aluminized tape to reflect heat.

I cut notches to clear the controls. These also allow room for a finger to remove the insulation when required. Cheap, simple, light.
Attachments
Wedged in place with notches to clear controls
Wedged in place with notches to clear controls
Ted C. / SW Arizona
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Nice!

I did something like that when I was trying to figure out what the wind noise was coming from.

First I taped the entire vent lid shut around the outside (on the roof), to make sure it was not coming from there (I didn't think so, as it closed very tightly, but wanted to be sure). Nope, still just as noisy.

Then I taped cardboard over the inside (taped to the garnish). Yep, quiet. Now I knew. I wanted to see if I could solve it another way though (at least try).

I still called Fantastic Vent and they confirmed that they'd had similar issues whenever an RV had the vent really close to the front of the roof.

Then I went through a series of deflector type thingies on the roof. They made minimal difference.

Then I went to a low-profile Fantastic vent frame AND a flat lid. That didn't seem to make a huge difference either (surprisingly), although it's nice not having such a huge "wart" on the roof. But, maybe it will make a roof-mounted deflector work better (haven't tried yet).

I have seen where people substitute screw in snap studs for the four corner screws on the garnish. So I have been thinking of making some sort of insulated cover that snaps on there (maybe with stiff edges so it won't droop on the inside).

Of course Scott cuts to the chase, sticks a piece of Styrofoam up there, and cruises along in silence ten minutes later. Luckily we can all "steal" his ideas! :mrgreen:

BG

PS: Another option I have often thought about is switching the Fantastic vent (right at the front of the roof) for my "skylight" (which is where the AC was). The skylight sticks up less than 1/4" so likely would be silent. Trouble is I'm hooked on the starry view from the skylight, which is in the perfect night viewing location.
1999 Concourse
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Blue~Go wrote: May 28th, 2018, 5:45 amOf course Scott cuts to the chase, sticks a piece of Styrofoam up there, and cruises along in silence ten minutes later. Luckily we can all "steal" his ideas! :mrgreen:
Actually that picture is Ted's, but I did the same exact thing for my skylight, except Ted's is fancier with the duct tape overlay :D. Mine's just shiny one side, white other side, with a couple adhesive saddle ties and a piece of wire for a handle (Airstream-level elegance :| ).
1994 Premier
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Thanks, Rokrover - this is a modification that falls within my skill set :D . I have Maxx Air vent hoods but there is still considerable noise coming from my front vent. I also like the idea of insulating it. On our just completed trip I noticed that going over rough roads tends to loosen up the vent unless you tighten it down really hard, and then it sometimes becomes difficult to open. I'm looking into a front "spoiler" for that front section of the cab roof in hopes of improving mileage and reducing the noise in the rear.
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Oh how did I make that mistake - in Ted's thread nonetheless! I guess because you both have that knack for efficient fixes :D I'm sorry, Ted.

Isn't it bizarre how stubborn that wind noise is? Geesh. You know, if I just had a front lift, then I could sleep with my head at the forward end of the couch most of the time, and then my skylight could be there for stargazing (and no wind noise), and the vent in the middle where the AC was....
1999 Concourse
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

I love this idea and since it is also within my skill set, I will be doing this very soon! I have noticed the wind noise more recently than when I first bought the rig, probably bc I was so excited the first time I drove it that I didn't notice or care lol. But it does bug me now to where I find myself constantly turning around looking at the darn fan area wondering why it sounds such!
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Kirah »

The previous owner of mine had something similar rigged up, but the foam didn't fit as snugly, and he'd installed a couple of wooden toggle latches on either side, to hold it up. To remove, just swivel the latches out of the way and the foam drops out.
1999 Premier, now minus all passenger side cabinets and appliances :twisted: