Air Conditioner Shroud

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Deputy

Air Conditioner Shroud

Post by Deputy »

My AC shroud flew off as I was driving on a very windy day. I was able to retrieve it but the mounting holes are broken so I guess I need to get a new one. So my question involves “air vents” (I assume that’s what they are) in the side of the shroud. My old shroud did not have any vents in it. Yet I go online and many shrouds do have the vents. Are they important? Or am I overthinking this and should just get another like the one that came off? Any thoughts on this are appreciated.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Air Conditioner Shroud

Post by chin_k »

I guess as long as the new shroud is "compatible" with the AC unit, you are good to go. The AC have two different sections, one side hot, one side cold. As long as the construction of the shroud does not allow mixing of the two partition, and the side vent does not allow the inside (coach) to be vented, then it is just to cool off the compressor, fan motor, and the evaporation, so that is a good thing.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Hi chin_k. Thank you for your reply. I still wonder about the vents. I have found replacement shrouds for my unit both without vents and with vents. I tend to agree with your comment that the vents should be a good thing but note that they come both ways and the one that flew off did not have vents. Again, I know I am overthinking this but wonder why I have a choice with style and if one style is the preferred choice. I researched online and found nothing definitive.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Call the AC manuafacturer and ask them... They should know better, or they will sell your the OEM shroud... being a cynic, I bet the OEM shroud is same price as a brand new AC. :D
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
SMan

Post by SMan »

FWIW Bought my replacement shroud off Amazon for my Dometic Penguin II for $101 in Aug 2019. It came beige and I had to paint it white. It was exact replacement and had no vents. That said IMO there is plenty of airflow around the shroud.

It's a little more these days....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005B ... UTF8&psc=1
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Hi All. Just to close the loop: my replacement AC shroud does not have vents. Costs are all over the place (not sure why). I have ordered one off of Amazon. Not supposed to be difficult to DIY. I will let folks know. Thank you all again
SMan

Post by SMan »

Deputy wrote: July 26th, 2021, 11:17 am Hi All. Just to close the loop: my replacement AC shroud does not have vents. Costs are all over the place (not sure why). I have ordered one off of Amazon. Not supposed to be difficult to DIY. I will let folks know. Thank you all again
FWIW The holes in my replacement shroud lined up perfectly. I did epoxy some plastic washers to the shroud holes prior to mounting as the old shroud had cracked at all 4 hole locations and I thought a little reinforcing was in order.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
mrfiat

Post by mrfiat »

I had this happen to me to and I just posted a thread about it. I repaired mine with a fiberglass repair kit for $10 and reinstalled it will a lot more screws so it cannot fly off again.