Newbie to single digit weather...HELP

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Newbie to single digit weather...HELP

Post by Flame »

East Texas supposed to get to 8 degrees here on Monday. Record for my county is 6 degrees and that was in 1951. In my 65 years on this planet I have never seen 8 degrees!! If I leave my 1998 concourse plugged in here at the house should I just turn the heat strip on for 2-3 days or just plug in a nice portable electric heater . Don't want my pipes in rv busting. Don't laugh my northern friends but we don't know what to do in single digit weather down here.
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
Jlfchinook

Re: Newbie to single digit weather...HELP

Post by Jlfchinook »

Was in Denver a few weeks ago, down to 7, ran small cube heater on medium temp, it kept inside at about 43. Did leave door to bath open , door under sink open, door under bed open. No problems with any pipes. Will do same this weekend as temp is suppose to drop in the ten’s again here in south Texas. Hopes this helps.
2000 Concourse, 2001 premier
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Turn the electric heater to 40F or maybe 50F. If there are liquid in the tank, turn on the heat strip (I assume it is plug in to shore power, correct?). Open the shower door and the kitchen shelf doors to keep the pipe on the side warm. Pour a few oz. of RV anti freeze into the shower drain, kitchen sink, and the sink in the bathroom. Some people prefer to use air compressor to blow the water out of the P-traps instead of using antifreeze. I would still add an oz. or two of antifreeze in there just in case.

Having the rig covered will also help with keeping it warm.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

Thanks everyone. It will be under a carport. I will plug in to my shore power (providing our electric co-op doesn't lose power). I will plug in a electric space heater and open all doors as suggested. Thanks guys sooo much again! And good luck to everyone and be safe!
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark