Diesel Chinooks

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
FatBuoy
**Forum Contributor**

Diesel Chinooks

Post by FatBuoy »

Does anyone happen to know how rare the diesel Chinooks actually are? Maybe the percentage of the 94s to 2001s that were diesel, or a total count produced? I believe those were the years they were offered, but could be wrong.

I'm wondering if they are sought after these days, or if people shy away from them. I rarely see one come up for sale, and there's just not much info out there about them, including on Tin Can Tourists.

Any knowledge about them would be appreciated.
2001 Premier aka "Anookie"
Dallas, TX area
sm350bl
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Diesel Chinooks

Post by sm350bl »

The 6.9/7.3 idi engines were available for the econoline form 83-94, from late 94-03 the powerstoke 7.3l ( completely different from the 7.3idi) was available in econolines. I don't know any production numbers but alot of econoline came with the powerstroke 7.3, I have a bunch at my work in the form of para-transit buses.

I think its easier to justify the additional cost of the diesel engine for a work or revenue vehicle vs recreational vehicle, which is why we don't see that many that crossed over into the rv world. It was a expensive option. When these chinook new were already 6 figures brand new can you imagine adding another almost 10k to the sticker price just to have a different engine than the one that already comes with it and pushes it down the road?
So i believe they are rare in a rv platform. But I also think they are very desirable. They are a much beefier engine platform than the v10 and the diesel torque curve is ideal for a hefty little rv and better fuel economy to boot.I love the snot out of mine.
Rich
2000 Concourse 7.3L Powerstroke 4X4
FatBuoy
**Forum Contributor**

Post by FatBuoy »

sm350bl wrote: January 24th, 2022, 9:23 am The 6.9/7.3 idi engines were available for the econoline form 83-94, from late 94-03 the powerstoke 7.3l ( completely different from the 7.3idi) was available in econolines. I don't know any production numbers but alot of econoline came with the powerstroke 7.3, I have a bunch at my work in the form of para-transit buses.

I think its easier to justify the additional cost of the diesel engine for a work or revenue vehicle vs recreational vehicle, which is why we don't see that many that crossed over into the rv world. It was a expensive option. When these chinook new were already 6 figures brand new can you imagine adding another almost 10k to the sticker price just to have a different engine than the one that already comes with it and pushes it down the road?
So i believe they are rare in a rv platform. But I also think they are very desirable. They are a much beefier engine platform than the v10 and the diesel torque curve is ideal for a hefty little rv and better fuel economy to boot.I love the snot out of mine.
Thanks Rich! Snot loving is a strong testament as to your love, that's for sure. What kind of mileage are you seeing as compared the the V-10's 10.5 mpg?
2001 Premier aka "Anookie"
Dallas, TX area
DAlgozine

Post by DAlgozine »

I rebuilt my 2005 chinook Eagle on a 2010 E350 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel chassis.

Pulls my 8500 lb race trailer with no problem, and i get about 12 mpg towing
I get about 16-18 MPG not towing.
Chinnin-about

Post by Chinnin-about »

My current Chinook is a 1988 6.9 IDI diesel. I love it's mechanical simplicity, it's torque, it's reliability and I can upgrade into a true overland vehicle and it remains viable, and marketable paying me for any improvements I make. It's really nice.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

DAlgozine wrote: January 24th, 2022, 1:58 pm I rebuilt my 2005 chinook Eagle on a 2010 E350 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel chassis.

16-18 mpg on diesel? Wow.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
sm350bl
**Forum Contributor**

Post by sm350bl »

FatBuoy wrote: January 24th, 2022, 11:56 am
sm350bl wrote: January 24th, 2022, 9:23 am The 6.9/7.3 idi engines were available for the econoline form 83-94, from late 94-03 the powerstoke 7.3l ( completely different from the 7.3idi) was available in econolines. I don't know any production numbers but alot of econoline came with the powerstroke 7.3, I have a bunch at my work in the form of para-transit buses.

Thanks Rich! Snot loving is a strong testament as to your love, that's for sure. What kind of mileage are you seeing as compared the the V-10's 10.5 mpg?
I roughly kept track of my mileage after our round trip to Montana from Cali in Oct and I was in the 13-16mpg range but we were heavy as far as what we packed in the Chinook and there were alot of elevation changes and alot of headwind through Idaho. I bet I could get a solid 15-18 on flat ground less loaded.
Rich
2000 Concourse 7.3L Powerstroke 4X4
Baja Bilo

Post by Baja Bilo »

DAlgozine wrote: January 24th, 2022, 1:58 pm I rebuilt my 2005 chinook Eagle on a 2010 E350 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel chassis.

Not to be a dick but I don't believe your rig gets 16-18 MPG,
not even if it's going down hill with a tail wind. Unless you
are driving 35MPH
markatherton

Post by markatherton »

I drove my 2000 7.3 chinook rv from San Diego to Albequerque and back averaging 16 mpg. The truck has fresh injectors glowplugs, rebuilt turbo, rebuilt HPOP, rebuilt fuel cannister and lines and new oil cooler;