Anyone use their generator often?

Off topic, tall tales, general chit-chat.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Anyone use their generator often?

Post by 68camaro »

Since I never use generator I wanted to test it and found it would not start, new spark plug fixed it right away. But that brought up the realization that in the three years I owned this I barely ever used generator. I don't do RV parks but they have 30AMP anyway, and when boonedocking I don't like upsetting sound of nature with generator, plus with properly sized and managed battery bank I don't run out of power. I think only time I used it was to recharge battery while boonedocking when I was learning load management and a couple times in dead of summer for a/c while eating lunch. Since I rarely turn on, I now know to run every few months with half load to keep operating properly.

So this brings up the question, do people actually use generator and in what situations?
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
SMan

Re: Anyone use their generator often?

Post by SMan »

We use ours more while traveling to the destination than when at the destination. Stopping at rest areas we often will heat food in the microwave and use it. We either park with the trucks or on the outskirts of rest areas when doing that. Sometimes at a shopping center as well. We have also used it boondocking at Quartzsite when out away from folks. Many years ago we had a Tioga MH and left it running the entire time at Death Valley to run the A/C as it was near 120 lol. Before we had a home generator we also used it for the house when we had power outages.

All that said it is not used that often but is nice when you need it.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I used it a few times to get the microwave working. One time there was not enough gas (less than 1/4 full), and I have to drive all the way to a gas station, before I can start it. The only other thing that needs it is the rooftop AC.

It is nice to have it when we have a power outage in the house one time, and I was able to get 30 Amp out of it to keep the fridges running, and enjoy our TV show. (I have 30 amp outlet from the genset that I added.)

Yeah, it is a bit of pain to have to run it every once a while. It would be nice if it is fuel injection so we don't have to worry about the carburetor.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

We pulled the on-board Onan a while ago. No need for it since we got rid of the microwave (pantry storage), and find the AC to be too noisy for sleeping (have quiet battery operated fan to keep us cool enough). The outside Gen Compartment has been repurposed for additional storage—much more useful! We do carry a 1000watt Honda Inverter Portable Generator (fits in back outside storage behind the Continental Spare) that we use to charge our E-Bikes or bring battery bank up quickly using the NOCO Genius 15000 smart-charger.
David
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

The ONLY reason I like having it is because of power outages at home or....they do have power outages at rv campsites too!! Also IF I had a breakdown on the side of the road in 100 degree temps or 30 degree temps and the motorhome would not crank I could be comfortable while waiting for tow truck!! I'm keeping mine!
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I'll be another one to answer the question "backwards," since you asked if anyone uses it often. I have used mine zero times since January 2014. It's whisper quiet when not running :twisted:

(I really should remove it!)
1999 Concourse
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

As a coincidence I fired up my generator to turn on air and generator fired right up but it is not supplying power to rig. All other power sources work fine with just chassis or coach batteries

Two days ago I gave it tune up so not sure if I shut something off in generator while tuning up. GCI by bathroom door is off and won’t turn on pluscharge panel shows no input from generator even though generator on.

Anyone have an idea of why this might be?
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
Jlfchinook

Post by Jlfchinook »

Generator has a breaker on side of it. It is real easy to bump it to off position, I would check this first.
2000 Concourse, 2001 premier
Jlfchinook

Post by Jlfchinook »

If ground fault won’t reset, I found that my outside 110 outlet had gotten water in it and was causing a ground fault. This was after I had replaced it with a new GFI hope this helps.
2000 Concourse, 2001 premier
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Do you have power in the coach when you are on shore power? If you do, then you need to check from the genset to the circuit breakers. I would make sure you can get it to work with shore power first before working too hard on the genset. Once you know is not the rest of the AC wiring, then the first thing you can check is the genset output. You can check it on the junction box under the closet floor, or you can check it on the transfer switch box attached to the AC panel. You will need to pull the brown box out to check the transfer switch.

Again, I would make sure the AC wiring is fine to the panel by plugging to shore power. First thing to check there is the 30A main breaker (AC, microwave, outlets and charger/converter won't work, along with fridge, etc.), and then the 15 A outlet breaker, since without AC, the GFCI won't be able to reset.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis