Cheap Theft Deterrent

Stuff that goes in your Chinook but isnt really part of your Chinook.
grantandash

Cheap Theft Deterrent

Post by grantandash »

I live in LA and have to park my baby on the street behind my building. Even though I live in a "good" neighborhood, there has been a wave of thefts happening (bikes, catalytic converters etc). So I wanted to share something I found that I think will be effective and was cheap and easy to get up and running. I wanted to have some kind of warning sound when someone was too close to the Chinook, specifically to the back entrance. Just to let them know the vehicle "sees" them. So I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FC ... UTF8&psc=1

It is made for store entry alerts, but you can record any sound on to it. So I recorded the "chirp" from my car alarm.

It took some testing to find the right placement for it, as I didn't want it to chirp when people were simply walking their dogs or cars passing, it's a tough balance because I want security but I don't want to be a nuisance to my neighbors. So after some testing I found this to be the ideal spot:
IMG_1790.jpg
I did have to cover half the sensor in electrical tape to make sure it only detects what's in front of it and not behind. But now it is incredibly effective. It never chirps when you walk around the vehicle. But if you walk up to the step, or step up on it, you hear a nice chirp.

I put a piece of velcro down so I can detach and reattach easily before/after driving.

I know it's far from a guarantee, but I do know this neighborhood is full of opportunists, not professionals, and this might just be enough to signal them to move on. Either way, worth $25 for the peace of mind in my opinion. Just thought I pass along!
2003 Concourse XL Dinette, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Cheap Theft Deterrent

Post by Scott »

Awesome post. Thanks. Great idea.

That's way better than a car alarm going off incessantly at midnight.
grantandash wrote: September 6th, 2020, 11:03 am I put a piece of velcro down so I can detach and reattach easily before/after driving.

Put a toggle switch on it!!!

In fact, I'd put in a relay so it turns on when the ignition is off...

Is it painfully loud?
1994 Premier
grantandash

Re: Cheap Theft Deterrent

Post by grantandash »

Happy to help!
Scott wrote: September 6th, 2020, 12:32 pm Put a toggle switch on it!!!

In fact, I'd put in a relay so it turns on when the ignition is off...

Is it painfully loud?
It has a switch! Real easy to reach under and shut it off.

Not too loud at all. Just enough, and it has two settings for loudness in case you think it is. Plus the sound I have it play is just a single chirp that I don't consider to be too annoying a frequency. It's nice to be able to choose.
2003 Concourse XL Dinette, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10