Wifi Antenna

Stuff that goes in your Chinook but isnt really part of your Chinook.
grantandash

Wifi Antenna

Post by grantandash »

Anybody have experience putting up a wifi extender antenna?

Looking at this kit:
https://www.amazon.com/Alfa-range-repea ... ometown-20

Mounting it with this suction cup:
https://www.amazon.com/TechnoRV-Suction ... RH4AZHV9X2

Wondering what the best way to run the wire from the antenna into the rig would be. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
2003 Concourse XL Dinette, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Wifi Antenna

Post by 68camaro »

I was on top of rig today and thought you could extend length of an cellular booster antenna by putting it on the Chinooks rooftop antenna, then raise it and get extra 3 - 4'.

Not sure how good cell boosters work though.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

That is pretty pricy, IMO, for the WiFi extender, but I guess if you rely on the Internet, it is worth it. There is a phone jack on the side of the rig, and while parked at home, I was thinking about replace it with Ethernet socket, and pull the LAN from my house to the rig. I guess that is not too useful outside of my driveway, since I have not come across any camp ground that has the Ethernet connector at the power pole. I think the phone and cable connection is also pretty rare nowadays, maybe only in mobile home park near a city for long-term trailer.

I don't know why I worry about it as much as I do, since most of the time when I am on my trip, there are so many fun thing to do outside that I hardly have time to check my cell phone or do anything on my computer.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
grantandash

Post by grantandash »

Yea it's more for just when I'm parked at home. I don't have a house so the RV is parked on the street and I'm hoping the extender lets me access my apartment's wifi, the Chinook is kind of my office at the moment, plus I'd like to run an internet linked security cam someday.
2003 Concourse XL Dinette, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

You may want to get a better WiFi router in the apartment and get it closer to where the rig is, and see if that help. Maybe there is some directional antenna that you can use for your application so that it can beam the signal to your rig better (I see a few on eBay and Amazon, but I have no experience with any of them yet). For cell phone, I had used some directional antenna for non-mobile station in very challenging environment successfully.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

grantandash wrote: June 19th, 2020, 6:47 pm the Chinook is kind of my office at the moment.....
Love this idea, I have used my Chinook on business day trips where I have meeting but need to do lots of other work. I can park out of client view, then fire up mi-fi and get tons of work done in comfort without trying to do at coffee shop or similar.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Kirah »

Wifi is easily blocked by wood - walls and floors and furniture. Maybe putting your router in the window of your apartment where it won't have to get through the exterior wall would help?

Apartments can be hard, though, anyway, because there are so many different wifi networks all trying to talk over each other. You might make people mad if you make yours too loud :lol:
1999 Premier, now minus all passenger side cabinets and appliances :twisted: