Wired rear camera

Stuff that goes in your Chinook but isnt really part of your Chinook.
davey307

Wired rear camera

Post by davey307 »

I have a 2004 premier 2100
Replacing my wireless backup cam with a duel channel dash cam
The new unit needs a single coaxial run from cab to rear of unit......

Before i start the install thought i would see if there are any suggestions as to the best way to run cable thru the unit

Thanks
caconcourse

Re: Wired rear camera

Post by caconcourse »

I mounted my rear-view camera under the back step of my 2001 Concourse, and ran the cable underneath along the frame rails. I drilled a hole underneath the doghouse rubber seal for the ingress, but it would have been better to run the wire up through the driver side step, where other cables into the cab already exist.

Also, I tapped into the driver side backup light and ran a wire through the storage compartment floor to get a reverse signal, to automatically turn the camera display on when in reverse.

I bought a 30' video cable for the camera, but the signal was too weak to make it that far, so I also ran a cat-5 cable, and used a twisted pair for the video, along with using other wires in the CAT-5 for the backup signal and power.

I have an "all-in-one" head unit that has camera inputs selectable for the display. In addition to having the backup camera display automatically when in reverse, you can also select the camera for display any time from the touch screen. The head unit is a Pioneer AVIC 8200NEX which has two camera inputs, so it could also support a dash cam, if desired.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
davey307

Re: Wired rear camera

Post by davey307 »

Great, Thanks for some direction found a cable route that should work.
Thru the drivers step was a good pointer

Thanks