do bug shields on hood actually help?

Stuff that goes in your Chinook but isnt really part of your Chinook.
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

do bug shields on hood actually help?

Post by Flame »

1998 concourse. Thought about a fiberglass or plastic bug shield for the hood. My thoughts are it might hurt more than help. It may decrease fuel milage even more and it might "deflect " bugs right up to the front of the rv where they are even harder to reach and clean. Anyone using one? Do they work? Pros and cons please...
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Re: do bug shields on hood actually help?

Post by pdemarest »

Hi Flame - I put a WeatherTech hood shield on my Chinook about a year after I bought it. We've been traveling now for two weeks out West and I have only had to clean the windshield with a squeegee (the ones with the cloth netting) once, in spite of driving through lots of bugs. It also seems to direct the air over the windshield completely so there's less noise in the cab and during some downpours in Wyoming and Montana the wipers seems to be having an easier time keeping the windshield clear. There is some bug splatter above the windshield on the fiberglass, which I'll deal with when I get home, but overall there seems to less "bug stuff" up there than usual. Being able to clean the windshield with the windshield wipers and washer fluid without having to stop and squeegee the bugs off is one of the benefits.

As far as fuel economy its hard to tell as I didn't do a before and after check on the mileage, but the fact that less wind is hitting the windshield makes me think that more air is being directed up and over the rig. As an aside, the shield came with double-sided tape to secure it but I drilled four extra holes along the inside lip of the shield to attach it to the hood more securely.
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
dougm

Re: do bug shields on hood actually help?

Post by dougm »

I would rather have to scrub bugs off the windsheild than have to climb up and scrub them off of the area above the cab. I installed a hood protector to protect against rocks and chipping the paint but not a bug deflector.