98 concourse needs grab handle

Stuff that goes in your Chinook but isnt really part of your Chinook.
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

98 concourse needs grab handle

Post by Flame »

Both the wife and I would really benefit from some"grab handles" on our 98 concourse E-350 to get in/out driver/passenger doors. Has anyone come across a good aftermarket and how would they mount? Has anyone added them to their rig?? Can't believe Ford didn't have them factory installed in the first place.
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
kdarling

Re: 98 concourse needs grab handle

Post by kdarling »

Ah, thanks for the reminder! My wife wanted one for the passenger side, so a while back I bought a nice grey overhead handle off eBay, which I had planned to mount above the door.

When I started to peel Chinook/Ford stuff back to drill holes and install it, I realized that there was little purchase area and lots of holes.

So now I think that a spring loaded single pivot leather strap type will make more sense above the door on the inside.

Alternatively, I bet you could put one on the A pillar.

Which type and location were you leaning towards?

Kev
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I'm not sure when they came in (at least by 2003 as my buddy's E-450 had them), but later Ford van/bodies had a grab handle on the A-pillar. I wouldn't be surprised if you could fit them to a 1997+ cab as well. I'll see if I can find a photo and post back.
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Not to send you away, but this Ford truck forum thread has some info on it. Apparently the A-pillar handles did start in 2003, and they are not just plug and play in the 1997-2002s. But it sounds like they can and have been fitted with a bit of "where there's a will there's a way." Mainly it sounds like adding the riv nuts or whatever the fasteners go into in the A-pillar.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1406 ... ndles.html
1999 Concourse
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

Kev, I was thinkin at least on the passenger side on the A pillar. After reading blues reference on the Ford truck forum, I really don't think I want to tear into the interior of my Concourse that bad!! Maybe just the leather strap? Not sure how well the wife would like that but I would think it would be better than nothing. Thanks
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

I bought a pair from Camping World on my little detour through Portland while heading down to California last month.
They were around 6 bucks each and seem easy to install on the A pillar. I haven't done so yet, but will take photos when I do.
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
terance13

Post by terance13 »

Hi...did you ever install the straps? Photos? thanks
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Yep, I sure did, on both sides. I will get photos tomorrow and show you how they look. They seem very sturdy, but I wouldn't want a body builder pulling on those since they're not OEM.
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

Any photos of the strap handle project yet??