Removing oak valances

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
VTSweetpea

Removing oak valances

Post by VTSweetpea »

We want to remove the oak valances in our 2001 Concourse so we can do some cabinet modifications. Can anybody who's done this (Blue-Go?) provide any hints? When I shine a flashlight up behind the valance, I see screw heads running alongside the track for the day/night shades. Do these screws attach the valance to the underside of the cabinet?
2001 Concourse 4x4
Blue~Go

Re: Removing oak valances

Post by Blue~Go »

BG here. Yes, I removed mine. Now I can't remember how (it was four years ago), but let me see if my photo files jog my memory.

The new ones I put up are shorter (around 2-1/8" or maybe 2-1/4" tall) so they don't block any of the window glass when I'm looking out That always bugged me.
1999 Concourse
VTSweetpea

Post by VTSweetpea »

Thanks, BG. Decided just to go for it and removed those screws. The valance dropped right off! Actually one of the easiest things we've done so far. :)
2001 Concourse 4x4
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Does anyone else see the two annotated photos on my previous post in this thread? (They show exactly how the valances are attached.) I saw them in Preview and then again when I hit "submit" but now they aren't visible at all to me. This has happened about three times now (different threads), and the first couple of times I chalked it up to me not noticing they didn't post, or a one-time glitch.

So is it just for me that they disappear or for everyone? VT did you see them?
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I thought we are just getting senile when you refer to photos, but they are no where in the thread. Now I know it is a technical problem instead. That is better.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
VTSweetpea

Post by VTSweetpea »

No, I don't see any photos, BG. I just figured you were going to check your photo files and get back to me.....
2001 Concourse 4x4
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

This is so frustrating! In this case I made a reply with some description along the lines of "OK now I remember why I don't remember specifically removing the valances, because I removed the whole cabinet" and the photos. I always Preview to make sure it works, plus refresh the thread after I submit. They appear just fine, then apparently the whole post disappears, not just the photos. It's happened a few times; one other one I remember specifically was posting photos of the new front end parts.

I will try again here in case this can help someone in future, but if I'm not posting photos anymore now you know why. Grrr.

Click once or twice to enlarge.
Valance 1.png
Valance 2.png
1999 Concourse
VTSweetpea

Post by VTSweetpea »

Sorry for the aggravation, BG. I always find your pictures and explanations to be extremely helpful, so thanks for persevering when posting them. Strange thing - I can see the pics and text when I read your post, but when I enlarge them, the text just appears as a black box!
2001 Concourse 4x4
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Well at least someone has seen them (the second posting).

When you say text is black box, do you mean the text that I put right on the image? If so, that's so weird, because I made it part of the image itself. When I click on it now it enlarges and so does the text, but then it's my image. But still.

Anyway, now you can see photos of what you already removed ;)
1999 Concourse
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Blue~Go wrote: May 29th, 2019, 8:01 amWhen you say text is black box, do you mean the text that I put right on the image? If so, that's so weird,
Yeah, the text on the image was redacted. I can illustrate with a screen shot but can't post it because broken. The "attachments" tab has no options anymore. (Using Windows 10) Oh well. ;)
1994 Premier