V10 sputters and check engine light

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
Manitou
Site Admin

V10 sputters and check engine light

Post by Manitou »

My Nook sat for a number of years before I got it. I found myself changing a COP (coil in plug..aka coil pack) in an autozone parking lot. Luckily, it was #6 right up front and pretty easy to get to. Unluckily, that was just the start of my sputtering. The codes called for that replacement and the crank position sensor. The CPS is a bit more of a pain to replace. Since I could still drive it, I took it to a shop for this one. They replaced it (have to undo some bolts holding he ac compressor in place to make room), but that didn't fix the codes. They saw 3 more plugs reporting issues. They recommended placing the boots from the COP to the plug and the spark plugs themselves. They called this "kind of a tune up". Since the COP's are about $50 each (x10=500 just in parts), I was happy to go with just plugs and boots. The codes are all cleared now and so far so good. Hopefully it stays that way for a good long while.
Astrodokk

Re: V10 sputters and check engine light

Post by Astrodokk »

I'm glad I don't have to deal with that stuff! There's something to be said about old school!
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
Concourse

Post by Concourse »

Are you taking it to an independant or a Ford dealership? I ask because the dealer will see V10's day in and day out and know what the odds are for the problem. Most common reason and where to look. Its a 2004 so new enough that there are limited factors.
2004 Chinook Concourse (Sold and missed)
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

it was an RV place in Rockledge (?) florida. So far, so good still. Although I haven't put a ton of miles (200ish) on it since the tune up.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

When I first test drove my rig, there was a slight hesitation. I took it to a Ford dealer and they recommended replacing the coil boots and the spark plugs. It only had 49,000 miles on it, but then things age just from time as well.

I didn't post sooner because I didn't really "get to know" the hesitation (short test drive with a lot of traffic and distraction). However I did have the coil boots and spark plugs done (I negotiated this into the purchase price since I had not yet bought it), and it has run smooth as silk since then.

(On the other hand, there was no Check Engine light, and I might not have called it a "sputter.")
1999 Concourse